Shattered Silence

Shattered Silence

Saturday, April 14, 2018

Song Dissection—"Second Hand Heart" (Pt. 7)

See my introductory post, “Song Dissection – Second Hand Heart (Pt. 1)” for background on this essay project. If you are a new reader, I invite you to listen to the song and watch the official music video below. The lyrics are listed for you to read as well; after which, I will continue to dissect the song and share my thoughts on the lessons that it taught me, which is one reason I love this song so much. Be sure and check back for subsequent updates in this 10-part series. 

* * * * * 


Second Hand Heart – 
Performed by Ben Haenow 
(Featuring Kelly Clarkson)

The light of the morning finds you sleeping in my bed
And it’s not like the stories; it’s never like what they said
I know who you want me to be but I’m just not there yet
Yeah, the broken road’s always been home and it’s so hard to forget

Wait for me now
Will you wait for me now?

CHORUS:

I might think too much, drink too much, stay out too late
I know I’m just a fool, but I swear I can change
I can’t steal you the stars, but I can give you this secondhand heart
All your friends think I’m hopeless, they don’t understand
That this imperfect love can start over again
It’s been broken apart, but will you still take my secondhand heart?

(FIRST STANZA REPEATS)

(CHORUS REPEATS)

FIRST BRIDGE:

If you let me show you, I could love you the same
And I can’t steal you the stars but I can try every day
Oh, you know they’ll never tear us apart

SECOND BRIDGE:

And I’m just a fool, but I swear I can change
And I can’t steal you the stars, but I can try every day
Oh, you know you got my secondhand heart

(SECOND BRIDGE REPEATS)

* * * * *

“I can’t steal you the stars, but I can give you this secondhand heart.”

Moses knew that even while humankind was incomparable to the
glory of God, we were our Father's most prized creations.
When God revealed Himself to Moses, speaking to the prophet face to face, He said, “Worlds without number have I created; and I also created them for mine own purpose; and by the Son I created them, which is mine Only Begotten” (Moses 1:33). Everything that fills the great expanses of space and time was formed and arranged by the priesthood power of the Great Jehovah, acting under the instruction and divine commission of his Father, Elohim—the Almighty God. It was by Their word that unorganized matter was gathered, collided, and joined together over billions of years to form the planets, stars, and galaxies which were then gradually set into motion; and it is by Their eternal laws and power that the celestial bodies of the universe are governed.

After seeing the earth upon which he stood and all its inhabitants, Moses “greatly marveled and wondered” at the creations of God (Moses 1:8). The experience left him astounded, and in great awe at the power which God possessed. “Now,” said Moses, “for this cause I know that man is nothing, which thing I never had supposed” (Moses 1:10). The prophet knew early on in his communion with God (through which many more things were revealed) that the works and wisdom of the Almighty were grand and glorious.

It is humbling to know that among all of Heavenly Father’s vast creations, we, His children, are His most prized and precious! Sometimes throughout life there are moments when we are touched with the Holy Ghost so powerfully that we cannot help but desire to fall to our knees in worship of the Great God who made us and first loved us. I know there have been times when my offerings to the Lord have not seemed sufficient compared to all the He offers me, including my daily breath and life (Mosiah 2:21). Indeed, I have felt that even if I could steal the stars and present them to my Father as a gift and token of my devotion, still my gift would be secondhand to the Being who made the stars and placed them in the heavens.

"Gethsemane" by Adam Abram
Copyright © 2018 by Abram Arts LLC
In essence, we can never repay God for the supernal gift of His Beloved Son (John 3:16). We can never repay Christ for His pain, suffering, and willing death upon the cruel cross. Christ’s atonement is not “Rent-to-Own,” so to speak; it is not the one prized thing in the department store window that we stare longingly at with our hands stuffed in our penniless pockets. “If only…” is not a phrase that should ever precede our desire to know Christ and feel His power. The atonement is ours if we want it—it was always ours! The Savior holds the keys to our salvation, and the door is unlocked; we only have but to knock to be let in and partake of it (3 Nephi 27:29).

We are not making payments toward our salvation or resurrection. Living the commandments is not a deposit into the eternal IOU account held by the Lord. The price is paid, the deed is done. Jesus Christ saved us all; and all He asks is that we follow Him. He doesn’t want the stars; I’m sure He has a great view of them from His throne at the right hand of God the Father. He wants us to use the gift He gave us, not strive to earn it, or feel that we fall short of it. He wants our hearts to stay close to Him, no matter how many times they’ve been broken and mended—the Great Physician always has power to heal us. And hearts continuously healed by the Son of God will help us reach higher for that place where we can catch the view of those stars right alongside Him, which He offers to the faithful, even “all that [the] father hath” (D&C 84:38).

No comments:

Post a Comment