Shattered Silence

Shattered Silence

Saturday, October 19, 2013

The Great Plateau

I wrote this creative reflection on my life in October 2009. I had just moved in with one of my best friends and started college again at a local university after dropping out four years earlier. I had been active once again in my religion for over two years, and I was finally beginning to see new light, hope, and courage in living the gospel of Jesus Christ every day. I was finally experiencing real joy and satisfaction in my life for the first time in many years. I sat down at my computer to write a simple journal entry describing my unique feelings, and I ended up with these brief, yet poetic three verses of sincere and sobering emotion. 


What I am most thankful for when I read this today is that my resolve to put off the natural man and live my life as a disciple of Jesus Christ have only deepened and solidified since then; and my feelings of gratitude for this life-changing journey I’ve taken only grow stronger every day, through every occasion when I choose in even the smallest way to be more like my perfect and loving Savior.



The Great Plateau

~

          I feel as though I am standing on a great plateau, gazing out over my trials of the past, which now lay before me in ruin—diminished and destroyed by my powerful testimony of truth, and washed away by a flood of sacred blood, shed by the Master with His infinite atonement. I see the height at which I stand, and look upon my past and say to myself, “I was once down there, and now I am up here; look how far I’ve come!” 
          And with courage, I turn and look ahead toward a great mountain. I see the paths that are winding and long; I see the rocky cliffs that are steep and treacherous. But with my resolve, which comes from knowing where I have once tread and yet still overcome, I journey ahead wearing the armor of God, and holding fast to the rod of iron which no longer eludes me; and there on the horizon, at the top of the great mountain, though far as it may seem, I behold the Celestial glory of God shining brightly before me, lighting my way along every path that I shall traverse in order to return to Him. 
          And though long may be my journey, and heavy the load which I may at times carry, I press forward with an unshakeable faith in a loving Father in Heaven and His divine Son, relying on Their promises of everlasting life, glory, and exaltation.

~

- Wade A. Walker
October 5, 2009

"I was once down there, and now I'm up here.  Look how far I've come!"
~

** NOTE:  I share my writing on this site trusting that visitors are scrupulous enough not to plagiarize.  If you'd like to share this poem or other content with others, please share the URL to the entire blog post.  Please DO NOT copy and paste any text for personal use without written permission.  As the original writer of the content herein, I’d like the credit for these pieces to remain mine. **

No comments:

Post a Comment